You may or may not have heard, but you know dark chocolate? You should eat that ish (in moderation of course.)
A 100 gram bar of dark chocolate with 70-85% cocoa contains:
- 11 grams of fiber.
- 67% of the RDA for Iron.
- 58% of the RDA for Magnesium.
- 89% of the RDA for Copper.
- 98% of the RDA for Manganese.
- It also has plenty of potassium, phosphorus, zinc and selenium.
It’s health benefits range from antioxidants for your body, better heart, skin and brain function.
Well… this isn’t about dark chocolate. It’s about Raw Cocao Nibs. This is a must have in my cabinet. Basically it’s dark chocolate in it’s purest form. It’s fermented (and we all know how legit fermentation is), dried, crushed cocoa bean. This essentially means, a food that packs an even more nutrient dense punch, without all the the calories and sugar that you will get from a 70%-85%.
One of my go-to sites for information, Dr. Axe, wrote an extensive article on “looking and feeling better” with Cocao Nibs. Definitely check it out.
Won’t lie, it’s bitter and for noobs, might take some time to adjust to the taste. I personally love the taste now. Just give it some time, you’ll grow to love it. It will become that chocolate delight you had been craving.
My favorite use for Cocao Nibs:
- Put two servings in my smoothie in the morning. Really, any smoothie. The point it to just sneak it in your food anyway possible
- Mix in grass-fed yogurt or Kefir. Although I enjoy my yogurts or kefir plain, if i’m feeling like i need a little pick-me up, i’ll throw in my nibs, maybe some berries if i have them around.
- When i’m training for my triathlons, I’ll sneak them into energy balls. What are energy balls? It’s a mixture of raw veggie based protein powder, shredded coconut, crusted almonds, coconut oil, honey and cocao nibs. Mix all this in a large bowl then start rolling them into balls. Now you have an easy peasy super food to eat on the run (literally in my case). My point of this is to say, if you are creative, you can put into anything you like… Is it ice cream, granola, brownies. Have fun with it!
Hope this is helpful… Any else use Cocao Nibs and what for?
Love, peace and bacon grease!